Wednesday, October 28, 2009

invisible forces

weird huh?
Last week I went to the Salvation Army with a friend who does free medical for the homeless. He has a big new RV turned into a mobile medical unit. 3 or 4 Drs, 1/2 dozen nurses and aids, it's pretty cool. He does 4 days at different locations and times. All to reach people to share Christ with them.
I had the opportunity to meet a guy from St. Lucia, I think, homeless, only been here a year, jobless, lonely, hopeless. We sat on my tailgate for a little while talking. It wasn't going very fast. When I was in his position I wasn't very forth coming with personal stuff to strangers either. Anyway, this gut walked up and just stood there, listening, seemingly wanting to be in the conversation. Pretty soon I was only talking to him, the St. Lucia guy walked away, and the new guy was an adamant atheist. A long pointless debate took place, mean while this guy from the islands walked back to my truck twice, looking at me and walking away.
I have always been a little weirded out by people talking about demon possession, and minions, and angels, and spirits and that stuff. But, afterward I felt as if I was distracted by some force from reaching out to this guy from St. Lucia. I realize he was hurting and wanting to be comforted. I was debating nature and feelings and organized religion and whatever else. I think it was just to stop me from reaching this guy. And it was pretty effective.
I hope this sunday the guy from St. Lucia will be there.

No comments:

Post a Comment